OBD (On Board Diagnostics) is one type of standardized system that can be used for self diagnostics and reporting. It is one kind of computer that comes onboard of cars and truck.
This regulation was founded by California Air Resources Board (CARB) and over the time it was implemented with proper specifications which were developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
Following is the detailed information of best OBD 2 scanner which would be your quick guidelines. We have also mentioned Top 5 products of best OBD 2 scanner so you could get idea which is best according to your need. Read on the following article in order to get the best information about the best OBD 2 scanners of 2017.
Best OBD2 Scanner comes in 2 types, code readers and scan tools. Usually code reader types of OBD 2 Scanners are inexpensive.
No other devices can clear and read codes and from any types of vehicle that is equipped with OBD 2. Another type is OBD 2 scan tools that come usually expensive but it has many types of different features.
Scan tools provides more information about specific codes given by manufacturer, it can provide extensive, it can access customizable to live and recorded data. It is also offer advanced troubleshooting information.
Best OBD2 Scanner 2017 - Top 5 Products Reviews
All OBD 2 scan machine provide basic functions like read and clear codes. This scanner is able to check pending codes which have not activated the check engine lights and give you other different information. Following are the Top 5 best OBD 2 scanners which have carried out for your reference.
Last update on 2017-04-30 at 01:51 PST - Details
1. Foxwell Universal Car Diagnostic Obd2 Scanner - Best Car Diagnostic Tool
Foxwell is a professional supplier of automotive diagnostic products, solutions and services.
They are manufacturing expertise and they have broad portfolio in making OBD 2 code scanners, readers, Data Logger devices, electric break tools and other so many emerging tools.
With its benefits and features, it is crucial to know its some downside points such as it is not compatible with the Apple iOS devices so you must have Android or Windows platform to run this scanner. Moreover, it doesn’t read any code if the engine is not in running condition.
Although, it has many other benefits which allow you to have this scan tool for your need. You can read and clear data yourself thus you can save money. It has “Save” feature so that you can fix issues at home or you may take help from expertise.
Very easy to use, you can see DTC definition on screen, it is designed with Global OBD 2 protocol vehicles coverage. It is compatible for all the cars made in US, Asian, & European.
It has live sensor data, it clears fault codes, it turn off the MIL, provides access to I/M readiness monitors and Retrieves vehicle information.
It is designed with 2.8’’ TFT color screen. This scan tool comes with free software updates along with three-year product warranty. That makes this product outstanding. Along with English language, it supports other languages like Spanish, French, Swedish and Portuguese.
- You can get the print data via computer connection so you can analysis issues later or you can even forward to experts for further assistant
- The tool is protected by a rubber surround to absorb any minor shock from use
- Thousands of definitions stored within the tool software so you do not require searching code from any other sources
- Ruggedized and hard wearing design for tough use
- Not compatible with Apple iOS devices
- No codes can even be readable if the engine isn't running
- The car scanner can quickly read and erase DTC (engine fault codes).I/M...
- Fast read and clear vehicle error codes for 1996 US-Based, 2001 EU-Based and...
- Unique Patented Design,2.8" wide TFT color screen with life-time free software...
Last update on 2017-04-30 at 02:09 PST - Details
2. ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth - Special Protection Which Protect From Over Voltage
If you are having Windows based smart phone, Scantool 426101 OBDLink could be your best choice to buy.
It is designed to accelerate car’s automobile’s performance with Bluetooth link, this model is 4 times quicker in reporting and scanning than other models which are stands along in its category.
It is made with Battery Saver Technology that manufacturer has patented this feature. So if you will leave it in plugged condition, it will ensure adequate power.
This OBD 2 scanner works fine with all 1996 car models and newer autos. It is also compatible with the small cars which are available in the U.S.A. it is designed with special connection algorithm so that it can be compatible with more models of autos
.Along with the international variants and OBD 2, it supports EOBD and JOBD. This scanner is specially designed with the ultimate security protection. It has 128-bit data encryption that ensures no any hacker can connect with the network of your automobile.
It has advanced Ford and GM support that has extra parameters to cover specially these auto models.
This scanner is so versatile that you can do lot of things with just a single OBDLink app, you can ensure if your car is ready for the emission test, it calculate instantaneous and average MPG. Software OBDwiz is also come free with this scanner which you can use on your PC or laptop.
There is some issues have been noticed with this scanner that it may not work properly with third party app, and if you are having android phones, it is quite tiring to connect with the device and sometimes it drop connection with the Bluetooth.
- It is designed with the special protection which protect from over voltage
- When it is not in use, it goes in sleep mode so that battery power do not drain
- It gives accurate, better and detailed graph for your every need
- Compatible with 1996 car models and newer autos, also compatible with the small cars which are available in the U.S.A
- Weak Bluetooth connection
- May not work properly with Android devices
- It will not work properly with third party app
- Transform your phone, tablet, or PC into a professional-grade automotive scan...
- Safe to leave plugged in, won't drain your car's battery
- Free Android app & Windows software (also compatible with 3rd party apps such as...
Last update on 2017-04-30 at 01:51 PST - Details
3. BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool - Best Professional Automotive Scan Tool
The BlueDriver OBD 2 Scan Tool is uniquely designed to scan your automobile’s function.
This scan tool comes with dongle connectivity that connects with your smart phone so you can influence on your phone’s computing aptitude.
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool gives a complete detailed report with the suggestion if your automobile requires fixing some issues. You can even mail to your technician for the further analysis and you can also take print out of the report for the study.
Along with its features and benefits, we should also discuss about its some issues. It has Bluetooth connection issues and drops links sometimes which is quite irritating.
It doesn’t support with many Diesel cars. BlueDriver app which manufacturer provides, doesn’t figure out engine’s running statistics properly.
Still, it has many other features which makes this scan tool ahead such as, it has advanced mode of 6 dates reading with misfire counts. It also provides advanced codes for airbag, ABS and transmission that give you full control over your automobile’s function.
The BlueDriver is possibly one of the best scan tools that provide a smog readiness test which works through by running entire transmission systems. Moreover, it can save your time and money as you will need only registration for emission tests when you’re sure enough that your vehicle will pass.
This scan tool has no space for errors. Sensors ensure for accurate and proper results, the app guarantee to provide you the codes in easy format.
It is advisable that if you have downloaded the app from both the platforms iOS and Android, ensure to feed your automobile’s data correctly so that this machine scans in a proper and accurate way.
- Very convenient to use even if your are new beginner and using it first time
- It suggest possible repairing for your car’s issues
- Very compact design that can be placed even under the dashboard
- The BlueDriver app may not figure out your engine’s running statistics properly
- Not compatible with many Diesel cars
- The Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by...
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
- The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to...
Last update on 2017-04-30 at 02:01 PST - Details
4. Autel AL619 AutoLink ABS/Air Bag + OBDII Scan Tool - Best Automotive Scan Tool
Autel AL619 OBD 2 is one of the great trouble shooter. It can work fine with any vehicle manufactured after the year 1996.
It comes along with CD software with an update version for a year, a case, a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, USB cable.
This scanner is one of the solidly built scan tool. Button are designed so well that it can be used very easily even if you are wearing gloves.
This scan tool has many features that are enough to attract you to buy, SRS and ABS system diagnosis, clearing and code reading have been included to this model.
May other model cannot read airbag sensors and anti lock braking sensors but this works fine even on that.
It has a “Save” feature as well, so if you will get any obscure code, you can bring it to your home after disconnection and you may search it online for the solution.
Autel AL619 AutoLink has ability to retrieve manufacturer specific codes, pending codes and generic codes that includes both domestic and foreign vehicles.
It can also easily retrieve the codes with the vehicles like Jaguar and Land Rover which has some specific difficult to clear codes.
This scan tool come with a free updates for a year so you no need to worry to change your scan tool often, once you get your tool updated, it can scan even a new models of automobiles.
This scan tool is connected with your computer or any other device, you cannot get the print out for the diagnostics that is an issue with this model of OBD 2.
- Physical look is awesome and it has ability to scan high resilience rate that makes scan tool amazing
- Visual aids and the audio are meant to support the technician with accurate requisite data
- Very easy to use even for first time users
- Real time graphing data so you can see the issues rather than decoding the figures and data
- Unable to get the data into hardcopies for further diagnostics
- Works on ALL 1996 and newer vehicles (OBDII & CAN)
- Diagnoses ABS/ SRS system codes on most 1996 and newer major vehicle models
- Retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1)...
Last update on 2017-04-30 at 02:02 PST - Details
5. Innova 3160e Code Reader / Scan Tool - Best Scan Tools For Car
Innova 3160e code reader and scan tool is the versatile OBD 2 scanner that has an ABS (Anti lock Brake System), a SRS (supplement Restraint System) and has live data for OBD 2 vehicles.
This machine is made to work in the real sense.
Innova is very well known company in making high quality scanner tool. This tool is designed so well and it has enhanced SAE live data.
It’s backlit screen that provide clear views for the SAE and other diagnostics.
It has live data capability and it comes with views, graphs and playback of PCM data streams which lets the user analysis faster and reviews.
There are some points that pull this scan tool back. It has been noticed that it doesn’t support older OBD 1 vehicles also it is not able to read vehicle specific “Enhanced Signals”.
Still, there are many plus points of this scan tool which makes this machine superb. All users expect their scanner should have simple operation and clear view of data.
In this scan tool machine it has blue backlit screen which allow user to view up to 25 pieces of analysis data in 3 different languages (English, French or Spanish) and it doesn’t require even to switching the screens. With a single button interface, user can get the efficient data quickly and easily.
Along with these features, Innova 3160e code reader equipped with an ABS code checker, oxygen sensor results, bi-directional testing and car ID capture and you will get all the details at your finger tips.
It has really a thorough checking system which allow you to identify any issue may have on your on-board computer system.
- Versatile and higher rate of compatibility, it can generate codes for older and newer model of automobiles easily
- Manufacturer guarantee to give full after sales service
- It is designed with large LED display for clear view
- It may not work for some older OBD 1 vehicles
- Unable to read vehicle specific "Enhanced Signals"
- Quickly reveal the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings on any foreign or...
- Read and erase ABS and SRS light trouble codes on most OBD2 vehicles
- Oil and Battery reset feature provides step-by-step reset procedures for most...
Last update on 2017-04-30 at 01:51 PST - Details
Best OBD2 Scanner 2017 - Buyer's Guide
It is very necessary to know every small detail about the OBD 2 before you go to purchase it as it has many various features and also it comes in many types so here we have carried out some points which you need to take into the consideration, it will really help you to choose the best OBD 2 scanner.
You must be aware that there are 5 different types of communication system come in OBD 2 vehicles and it is not necessary that it compatible with all so before you make purchase, you should first check whether it is compatible with your computer system which is installed in your car.
New car models come frequently in the market and it is not require that your scanner must be compatible with every car model. It is require Upgradation to scan new car model.
If you will go for cheap and non branded OBD 2 scanner, you will get it updated. And if you will the best quality OBD 2 scanner, it is upgradable frequently so you do not require buying new set of scanner every time.
You should also ensure the price of Upgradation at the time of purchasing so you will not be surprised if they will charge you for the Upgradation.
- Full Code Definition
There are many technical words come in OBD 2 scanner, and if you are not aware about all those, you will end up with the frustration so better to ensure that it should come along with the manual that has every detailed code definition in details.
- Data Storage Facility
This is one of the unique features that your OBD 2 scanner must have as it is very important.
Scanner give you live data reading when you are outside on the road and it gives you report when the engine is running, there are some scanner come which doesn’t store that reading and you may require it later sometimes so you should choose only those which can store the reading and report.
- Package Inclusion
OBD scanner always requires cables that links with the vehicle and software that runs the scanner, without those your scanner is unusable, so you should ensure that manufacturer provide you everything with the package so you do not have to buy additionally from the market.
This feature is also essential to check, you would be using scanner in some critical situations sometimes like rain, storm and heat. So you should check if your scanner is water proof and it has ability to withstand heat, rain drops or other elements of weather.
You should also check in which material your scanner is typically designed to last for longer period of time.
- Bluetooth Scanner
The best OBD 2 scanner has Bluetooth feature that is very easy to use, simple to install and compatible with the mobile device. Bluetooth devices get power from batteries only so you should be sure to get a power backup and your gadget must be ready at anytime to use.
- Check Your Car’s Protocol
Before you spend money on any OBD 2 scanner, you need to check your car’s OBD 2 protocol to avoide compatibility issues. Following is the check list that which connector you should buy according to each following protocol. If the protocol of your car is
- J1850 PWM – The connector must have these pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16
- J1850 VPW – The connector must have these pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10
- ISO 9141-2 – The connector must have these pins 4, 5, 7, and 16
- ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000) – The connector must have these pins 4, 5, 7, and 16
- CAN-BUS (J1939 & ISO15765-4) – The connector must have these pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16
- Customer Reviews
One u finalized any scanner, you should then check the reviews which other users have given after using it, you may check the same on many different web portals or you may also check on social sites and other social groups where they have stated their reviews, you may also join the discussion group to check the quality and other features regarding that particular scanner model.
At the last we have ended up with the two best models of OBD 2 scanner according to our study and research, ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth and Autel AL619 AutoLink ABS/Air Bag + OBDII Scan Tool.
ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth can be the best scan tool for your need as it has so many unique features that make this product outstanding. It has extreme security protection.
It is designed with 128-bit data encryption that ensures no any hacker can connect with the network of your automobile. To connect with your smart phone was never so easy. It provides so many data onto your device easily.
There are some downsides points which is not the major and you can overlook those points if you will focus on its other features and benefits.
Other scan tool model which we have carried out is Autel AL619 AutoLink ABS/Air Bag + OBDII Scan Tool that also can be the winner in the race of scan tool which are available in the marketplace.
It is very user friendly in use and provides accurate data with Push Button Interface. It can work fine with all the 1996 car models and newer vehicles. It can retrieve generic codes like (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1) codes and pending codes too.
So you must have noticed that buying best OBD 2 scanner tool from the market is not that easy but after reading our this section of best OBD 2 scanner buyer’s guide, you must be clear what exactly you should buy, we have mentioned each products’ features along with its pros and cons so you can be sure which best OBD 2 scanner meets your need.